Ethics - considering ethics in my professional practise

My Assumptions!

I suppose I think my assumptions around my professional practise are true but in fact I never actually thought about what other people would think about 'MY' assumptions. Why do I think there are true is it because I want them to be? I have found it very interesting in digging deeper around the ethical considerations about my topic as previously I have been narrow minded, and thought everyone will feel and believe like myself.

Personal Ethics: In my enquiry there is an element of my topic that I believe could be the main catalyse for the reasoning of why children may have a low social, physical and mental well-being. I believe that children from a disadvantaged background will have lower well-being results so I believe this to be 'TRUE'. Having a clearer understanding about personal ethics has lead to think actually I might not be 'RIGHT'. This however does not change my views as through my personal experience I still believe this to be 'TRUE'.

Social and Cultural Ethics: Over history times have changed for children. My personal experience as a child was coming home from school and playing out with friends, having more practical activities to keep me occupied and attending physical activities outside of school. Culture has changed primary school children have access to a lot more technology video games, computer games, IPADS, IPHONES. This seems relevant as the numbers of child obesity has increased, and I believe I am 'RIGHT' in thinking it is because culture has changed and children are less likely to take part in physical activity.

Professional and Organisational Ethics: As a teacher the 'code of conduct' is vital, it is there so that everyone goes about a situation the correct way, as you could be dealing with sensitive information there is a code of conduct to follow to deal with it correctly taking into consideration children, parents and work collegues. The procedures on how to deal with a situation impacts the culture of teacher status massively, if a teacher was to break the code of conduct it could impact the whole schools reputation.


Overall when planning my inquiry I need make sure that I don't portray my feelings and beliefs in the questions I am going to ask, I need to make them more general but also staying within the ethical boundaries. If I am wanting honest results then I need to be open to people not agreeing with me and having different views as the reader 3 says "if everyone 'agrees' with you it might be that you are only listening to what you want to hear".

Amber x

Comments