Task B - Professional Communication Technologies

I grew up in the generation where we have had these platforms and tools made easily accessible to us, the disadvantage of this is that I believe it has in some ways ruined the innocence of technology. Todays generation has brought so much negativity that associates with social media, bullying, mental health, social wellbeing, obesity and many more negative encounters. Simple abuse of the power a web 2.0 tool can provide. Since applying my professional skills to further my education I have used these amazing web 2.0 platforms/tools in a completely different way. A way that the reader 1 opened my eyes to realise.

Key Concepts and principles for what is Web 2.0, reader 1caught my attention with a couple of phrases which made me reflect on my thoughts. (O'Reilly 2006) mentioned the words 'play' and 'trust your users' which backs up his aspect of 'Attitude not a technology'. My outlook on this would be its how an individual behaves on the web 2.0 platforms and not the technology its self. Can peoples attitude's really have an effect on these platforms perception ? would the Web 2.0 be so successful if it relied on peoples behaviour ?

Architectures Of Participation takes a huge role in the expanding Web 2.0. (Hamilton 2000) 'an increase in participation can contribute to the successful building of relationships', through platforms such as Facebook we can search for friends and work colleagues it gathers information about who we may know and the people we have in common so we can connect to communicate. For example I have joined a group on Facebook which allows my surrounding community of my village to participate, I can use this in advertising my business to a broader audience.

Ethical considerations such as privacy is key when we are talking about web 2.0 platforms/tools. We are able to choose the privacy settings that we would like to have on our profile's and web pages, especially if you work in schools like myself then you are a very vulnerable victim you have to be very careful about how you display yourself. Pictures you post, words you use in your posts. Privacy is a key point to ethics and if your using your web 2.0 platform for a professional learning purpose you need to be wise in your choices.




Comments