Module 3: Skype call 12.02.19

Sorry I am a little late in posting about this Skype call but I thought it would still be beneficial for me so I can look back on it to reflect.

We were asked to summarise our inquiry in which I panicked and waffled on far too long. Adesola made a valid point about knowing the meaning of the words in our glossary section of the handbook as this is a great way to summarise our inquiry (without waffling and making sentences shorter) by using the phrases that we have been studying and reading. 

It came to light that I actually hadn't had a full understanding of the words that I had been using or not used them at all.

Triangulation: Comparing against things and how they relate. For instance in my inquiry triangulation of data so the relationships between the field data gathered, the literature and my own experiences feelings and responses. 

Paradigm: Having a wider knowledge about something, allowing consideration for another view and how that could influence you.

Discourse: Discussions about a topic.

Artefact: an example would be an essay is an artefact from a university, a ballet shoe is an artefact from a ballet dancer. Something that you would see in a museum and have an understanding of. I wouldn't give a dance teacher my university essay and expect them to understand any of it but if I handed them a piece of music they will.

It's informed me that I need to keep expanding my glossary and terminology for researching. As Adesola posted "just like any technique there are words for the things we do" just like "tap dancing there is a vocabulary of words that we learn. In research there is too."

This kind of vocabulary will benefit me not only in my essay writing but also my presentation skills. 



Comments